Compliments & Complaints


Our officers and administration appreciate receiving positive feedback when the people that we serve are happy with the service that they received.  If you would like to leave a compliment, please click here.


You have the right to make a complaint against any employee for improper conduct and we encourage you to start the process by speaking with a police supervisor.  You can stop at the station or call (847) 464-4600 to ask for a supervisor.  The supervisor will listen to your complaint to see what, if any, laws, policies, or procedures may have been violated.  After making such determination, the supervisor may have you complete a complaint form and request that you sign it in the presence of a notary public.

The Pingree Grove Police Department will conduct a thorough investigation and you will be notified of the outcome of the investigation.  If allegations against the officer/employee(s) are sustained, the Pingree Grove Police Department cannot release to you any type of disciplinary action taken.  The investigation may also conclude that the officer/employee(s) acted properly or that there is not enough information to prove or disprove the allegations.

Alternatively, you may also download and fill out a complaint form and return it to:

Police Administration

Pingree Grove Police Department

ONE Police Plaza

Pingree Grove, IL 60140

You can download a complaint form here.