Garage Sale Permit & Rules
Village-Wide Community Garage Sale
The Annual Village-Wide Garage Sale is sponsored by the Community Events Committee. All permit fees for garage sales throughout the year are used to support community activities. Current dates for this year's event will be JULY 16-18, 2020.
2020 MapPlease see the map for the 2020 Community Garage Sale online (map will be available after July 7th). Due to increasing participation, the map is best viewed online, so don't forget to bring your phone or tablet for the sale! Click each address listed to see a description of items for sale at each location.
Registration is required, and the permit cost is $10.00.
Due to COVID-19, we are highly encouraging online registration!
Online Registration (payment by credit or debit card--processing fee of $1.00 will be added by card processor)
1. Click "Make a one-time payment"
2. Select category "Community Events"
3. Select payment type "Garage Sale Permit"
4. Supply information in all required fields. This serves as your permit application.
5. Follow payment prompts through Confirmation
6. Don't forget to save and/or print your receipt for proof of purchase!
Unable to register online? If you are unable to register online, you can drop off a check or cash payment in the Village's temporary drop box at the Pingree Grove Police Department in the lobby vestibule along with a hard copy of the Garage Sale Permit Form. Once the Municipal Center is re-opened to the Public, the temporary drop box will be removed and the regular Municipal Center parking lot box will be re-opened. At that time, cash payments in the drop box will no longer be permitted. Payments should be placed in a sealed envelope indicating your name, street address and email address and "Community-Wide Garage Sale".
To be included on the event map, please register no later than July 6. If you register after July 6 you can still be part of the community-wide sale but your house will not be shown on the map. There will be no rain date for the community-wide sale.
Individual Garage Sale Permit Information
- A permit fee of $10 is required for any type of garage, yard, estate or rummage sale.
- There can be two permits issued within a 12 month period for a maximum of 3 days each.
- In the event of a cancellation due to weather, the permit holder can notify the Village prior to the sale and the sale will not be counted.
- All signs and sale items must be on private property, not on Village right of way. Signs may not be attached to a mailbox, telephone pole, tree or local sign.
- Signs shall be limited to four in number and must have their own support or be attached to a post in the ground.
- It is unlawful to sell any of the following items at a garage sale:
- Any item whose use is prohibited with the Village, County or State.
- Any item that is age restricted, including but not limited to firearms, and explosive devices.
- Any motor vehicle or item having a sale value in excess of $1,000.
- Any item acquired solely for the purpose of resale.
- Any weapon, defined herein as including but not limited to, any knife, razor, ice pick, BB gun or any other device that shoots a projectile, metal knuckles, and explosives of any kind.
- Garage sales may not run longer than 3 days and only between the hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. of any day.
Payment can be made following the instructions above, listed in the Village-wide Community Garage Sale section.
The following items are exempt from the above rules:
- Persons selling goods by order of a court.
- Persons selling in accordance with their powers and duties as public officials.
- Any persons selling or advertising for sale an item of personal property which is specifically named or described in the advertisement and which do not exceed five in number.
- Not-for-profit organizations provided they file with the Village a request for exception, together with the name of the organization, proof of its not-for-profit status, a description of the purpose of the sale and such other information as the Village shall require.
- Community wide garage sale sponsored, sanctioned or authorized by the Village of Pingree Grove.