Garage Sale Permit & Rules
Village-Wide Garage Sale
The Annual Village-Wide Garage Sale is sponsored by the Community Events Committee. All permit fees for garage sales throughout the year are used to support community activities such as Touch-A-Truck, Independence Day Celebration, and the Tree Lighting Celebration in December. Current dates for this year's event can be found on the Village Calendar
New this year is the ability to register online using VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover! Visit Eventbrite to purchase your Garage Sale Permit Ticket.
To be included on the event map, please register at least two weeks in advance of the event.
You can also register by stopping in at Village Hall to pick up a standard permit. VISA, Master Card, and Discover are also accepted at Village Hall, as well as checks and cash.
Garage Sale Permit Information
- A permit fee of $10 is required for any type of garage, yard, estate or rummage sale.
- There can be two permits issued within a 12 month period for a maximum of 3 days each.
- In the event of a cancellation due to weather, the permit holder can notify the Village prior to the sale and the sale will not be counted.
- All signs and sale items must be on private property, not on Village right of way. Signs may not be attached to a mailbox, telephone pole, tree or local sign.
- Signs shall be limited to four in number and must have their own support or be attached to a post in the ground.
- It is unlawful to sell any of the following items at a garage sale:
- Any item whose use is prohibited with the Village, County or State.
- Any item that is age restricted, including but not limited to firearms, and explosive devices.
- Any motor vehicle or item having a sale value in excess of $1,000.
- Any item acquired solely for the purpose of resale.
- Any weapon, defined herein as including but not limited to, any knife, razor, ice pick, BB gun or any other device that shoots a projectile, metal knuckles, and explosives of any kind.
- Garage sales may not run longer than 3 days and only between the hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. of any day.
The following items are exempt from the above rules:
- Persons selling goods by order of a court.
- Persons selling in accordance with their powers and duties as public officials.
- Any persons selling or advertising for sale an item of personal property which is specifically named or described in the advertisement and which do not exceed five in number.
- Not-for-profit organizations provided they file with the Village a request for exception, together with the name of the organization, proof of its not-for-profit status, a description of the purpose of the sale and such other information as the Village shall require.
- Community wide garage sale sponsored, sanctioned or authorized by the Village of Pingree Grove.